Re: Tight Brake Hub

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Tight Brake Hub
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:05:56 -0700
Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:

> This should not be the case!  Adjusting the adjuster screw should
> take care of both the regular brake and handbrake.  The cables should
> need adjusting only to compensate for cable stretch and wear in
> the various linkages.
>
> Doug Braun
> '72 Spit

I beg to differ.  The adjuster will compensate for shoe wear, but as the shoe
wears down, the hand brake will need to be pulled up higher to make it
grab.  If the shoes are worn enough, it will become necessary to adjust the
cable that goes between the handle and the pivot assembly that actuates
the lateral handbrake cable.

However, if only one brake is dragging, I doubt the handbrake assembly is at
fault.  If it was too tight, both rear brakes would most likely be
dragging.

Joe