anti-roll bar

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: anti-roll bar
From: CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 98 18:31:34 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>>I have discovered that my Sprite has no anti-roll bar in
>>the front. Is this a really important omission?
>>
>>What will improve if I fit one and what diameter should
>>I go for - there seem to exist three different ones?

  No big deal to be without.  It was optional equipment on the ones that
do have it (1275 cars; I don't really know about the RB cars).

  If you add one it should decrease the amount of body lean in corners and,
on really tight corners will help keep the inside rear wheel on the ground
longer so you can get the power down sooner on corner exit.  HOWEVER...
  It will also tend to increase understeer (unless your car is already
getting into the front bumpstops during cornering (not likely)).
  IF you decide you want one and your car is stock, get the factory option
size.  A bigger one will cause too much understeer unless you balance it
by adding a small rear bar too.
  As Ulix(?) said, on an early car you may have to drill the bolt holes to
attach the ends to the lower A-arms; but, I believe the factory also had
reinforcement plates welded at these points.  Later cars' A-arms (I think)
already had these reinforcements and holes.
  My car had been (poorly) modified already when I got it (wrecked).  When
it was last running I had a stock front bar and a very small rear bar.
  A friend of mine races a Sprite and uses a front bar on the track.
However, for autocrossing he does not use a bar.  This gives better turn-in
and less understeer on the really tight corners typical of autocross courses.
He does, however, use stiffer springs and shocks and sticky tires. (Prepared
class.)
       Ed in NC