Re: Cars

To: midgetman@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cars
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:27:09 EST
In a message dated 3/23/2000 5:05:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
midgetman@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< i want to get into midgets and need to know everything. Is this the
place?>>

Wow Rex!!!!  I don't think there is a place where they know EVERYTHING!   But
here we are sort of Godly, I guess and know most things collectively!

 <<What about engines? I want the biggest one. >>

Arguably the biggest is not the best one.  I drive a 1500 which is the engine
in the late Midgets, but I think the consensus is, and I agree, that the 1275
is the stronger and better running of the Spridget (Sprite + Midget) engines.

 <<Someone told me to think about Sprites too, but I think a midgets better.>>

That too, is arguable.  They are essentially the same car.

<< I dont have lots of money but figure I can get something cheap and work on
it.>>

You are probably best buying one already restored.  You can expect to pay
somewhere between $3000 and $4500 for a pretty good driving Spridget.  More
if you want one absolutely perfect.  More again if you want a bugeye as
opposed to a later square body.

<< What are some good books? >>

I personally would start with the Haynes and the Bently Manuals, then Lindsay
Porter's Guide to Purchase & DIY Restoration of the MG Midget & Austin Healey
Sprite.

<<Who fixes these things? Is one guy better than the other?>>

We tend to fix our own, with the support of the manuals and each other on
this mail exchange.  But there are some British car mechanics across the
country.  Probably if you told us where you lived someone on the list lives
in your area and can make a recommendation.

<< What about clubs? Is there a club for midgets?>>

There are a few Spridget clubs around, but generally Spridget owners who are
members of clubs join British Car clubs that serve more than one marque.  I
personally am a member of the local Austin Healey club Smoky Mountain Austin
Healey Club, Knoxville, TN) which is connected to the Austin Healey Club of
America.  I would highly recommend a club for many reasons.

<< Do they have a book? Are they on the internet? >>

Who?  The clubs?  Some of them.  We are.   <A
HREF="http://members.tripod.com/SMAHC";>SMOKE SIGNALS</A>

<<Wheres the best oplkace to find a car?>>

You can find cars where you find them.  I have found them by just driving
around and looking behind houses and in garages--sometimes beside of barns
and garages, on the back row of used car dealer, etc.  In the newspaper and
trader publications.  Lots of places.

<< Spring is coming nd I am excited.  >>

So are we!!!!!  and welcome to the list.  This is an endless source of
information as to buying, maintaining, restoring, and fixing a Spridget.  We
are planning a big get together/cookout/rally in PA this August. Stay tuned
and ask questions and you will find out more about that.

--David C.