Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:05:38 -0500
Well let me put my foot in my mouth.

I ass-u-me that this has to do with the question you asked earlier in the
week and the lack of a good answer.

I have two cars which are in the two different aspects of our hobby, one, a
bugeye which is my driver and fun car which is being 'modified' but without
any non-reversal modifications and a original '62 which is my show car.

Just for the 'fun' (sic) of it I entered it in a eastcoast Healey event for
concours judging.  I said 'fun' because all I really wanted to find out was
how an unrestored original car, my '62, would score. I wasn't there to 'go
for the gold', I didn't have a small fortune or massive amount personal time
and effort 'invested' in the car. At first I resisted having it judged but a
number of 'Healey' people convinced me that I should.

How does this relate to Leo's contemplation, since then watching more
'concours' judging, I have found that a 'new' bugeye entered in concours
judging on the eastcoast for the first time WILL NOT, reguardless of the
quality of restoration, make GOLD! You will have to bring the car back a
second year. I know of one car that came back the second year and made gold
with no changes.  Seems there is an unwritten rule of initation in the
'sport' (concours) going on.

Now I will insert my foot.  The chief judge on my car just happened to be
the national keeper of the (concours) standards. While this individual may
know AN5's, he proved to me that he didn't know (insert your favorite
expletive) about a AN6. He tried to 'convince' the other judges that my
seats had the wrong beading (they are original from the factory), that the
door pockets had the wrong lining that they were 'suppose to be like a AN5'
(again original from the factory), that the color of the door pocket
material didn't match the dash/footwells (again original from the factory),
that my hood was the wrong color and was a cheap aftermarket replacement
(the 'offical standards book' which he susposedly he 'keeps' says it was the
correct color and after it was pointed out to him that the factory
washing/care instructions and the red "Vybak" on the left quarter panel
window did he conceed) again the hood is original to the car from the
factory.  I could go on about a few other judging things but I won't.  This
experience 'cured' me from ever attempting 'concours' again. By the way it
still scored 933 points.

I can appreciate a 'gold level concours' car.  However, to get to this level
requires a car that is prepared to better standards and finish than they
were when they left the factory.  Are these to be used as examples?
I can also appreciate a 'modified' car too.  Thses are modified to the
owners wants. I think back to when I owned fairly new british cars (6 of
them) in the late fiftes and early sixties and I 'modified' - 'personalized'
all of them to my likes and wants.

Hence, Leo I don't think when it comes to interpretation of 'standards'
people feel comfortable giving advice beyond what is written in the
'standards'.  Yes there are a few out there who have checkbook restorations
and know nothing and there are those that have 'made it' either on their own
or with $ that aren't going to make it 'easy' for you.  Thankfully, these
are a minority and often move on after they 'make it'.  I have helped a
fellow lister get his AN6 to gold level but then again I have a original as
your going to find one to offer/give/state/measure how it was from the
factory to give advice and guidance.  But it all comes down to the 'judge'
and his interpertation of the 'standards'.

Biff Jones
Pasadena, MD
'59 Bugeye, 'Kermit'
'62 Sprite, 'Ole Gray'