Re: [Spridgets] Le Macchine d'Italia (No LBC)

To: mike rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Le Macchine d'Italia (No LBC)
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 14:19:07 -0500
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM, mike rambour <mikey@b2systems.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 10:30 -0500, Jim Johnson wrote:
> > I sincerely hope that Fiat has greatly improved their quality.  I bought
> > new Fiat 850 coupe in England in 1968. It was a POS. The metal was thin
> and
>
>  Of course they have greatly improved their quality.   I only sold my
> 1973 Fiat a few months ago, I bought it brand new in 1974 and never had
> a issue with it, never left me on the side of the road ever !  I owned a
> 1990 Toyota that I bought new in 90 that gave me more trouble in 4 years
> that I owned it then my Fiat gave me in 34 years.
>
>  The 850 you had was the lowest priced car Fiat sold, poorest quality of
> all their models,

Naw.  The 500 was far cheaper and smaller.  I paid $2,500 for the 850 Coupe
in 1968.

> my 68 Dino is awesome and that was the top of the line
> in those days.  Yeah with 2 Fiats in the garage you can guess I am a
> Fiat guy but I have had 850's and compared to the Dino they were junk.
> Fiat really did build a good car even back then, its just that back then
> they built quality according to the price tag, high price, high quality,
> low price, absolute garbage.  Most auto manufacturers did that in those
> days.
>
>  Nowdays, Fiat will easily compare with Honda or even Ford or Chevy,
> they are all that good now.

Well, I hope you are right, Mike. Even at that though, I wonder if Fiat has
any understanding of the type of vehicle needed by people in rural America.
I cannot imagine a Fiat that would be of use on a farm or somewhere where
one has to travel 100 to 200 miles every day to conduct their business. How
would they hold up to that kind of use?
--
Cheers!!
Jim