Re: Burnt offerings.......Comments please.

To: "Gerald J. Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>,
Subject: Re: Burnt offerings.......Comments please.
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:48:06 -0500
GB,

The Scoutmaster brings up a very interesting point... one I'd like to
discuss further at the TT board meeting at Grattan. Is this some sort of
secret handshake homo club deal (Aren't they all?) I... mean... ahh... no,
it's not. Maybe Friday evening we'll have a team gathering and discuss a few
things.

Some comments to consider... ans I'd really like your feedback on these...

It does seem as if our success is threatening to some, welcomed by others.
Bases on the last newletter (VSCDA for those of you in remote areas) it was
a combination of they couldn't seem to ignore us... and they wanted to reel
us in a bit. Anyone else read it that way? Anyone get the sense that they'd
like to "mainstream" our "fringe" group? Personally... I've been on the
"inside"... and enjoy effecting change from the outside looking in. I think
it's great that people seem to like out music... but you know what...I'd
like to make the invitation to other "potential bandmembers". Does that make
sense? Another thing... back in the days when I was an honest (oK... maybe
not ALWAYS honest) to God working musician... I always said I played for
free... and got paid for hauling setting up, rehearsing, and breaking down
the equipment. Now, we can toss out the "rehearse" part of the equation...
since it's obvious we don't rehearse. But the rest of it becomes a problem
if we're thought of as some part of the "official" event. (Anyone tracking
this line of thinking? I'm guessing Bob Wilson doesn't give the club all
those embroidered shirts and (help me here boobie... "Chachkies" (sp?)) When
its "our" party...we do it gratis (sp?)... food. beverage, cooking, hauling,
playing, welcoming, yadayada...  I don't want to be in the position where we
feel we should be charging for our services. And that's not to say I
wouldn't mind the Thicktones included once in a while.

One more thing... go back and read "The Flounder Learns at Mosport". I
posted my original e-mail to the Thicko, Spridget, and vintage race list.
Judy told me she wanted to reprint it in the newsletter. OK by me. But it
wasn't reprinted.  It was edited, and had a title that implied something
else when followed by the Editor's note about pre/post check list.

Please post some comments. Tell me if you think I'm being paranoid, or
crazier than usual...

See you at Grattan Friday afternoon.

Flounder