TR6 ZS needle adjustment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 ZS needle adjustment
From: pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 09:47:04 -0500
Hi all-

My TR6 seems to be running lean based on the white deposits I'm seeing on
the plugs. Also, it tends to stall when I crack the throttle momentarily
and back off. The power seems to be there but it runs hot in traffic. I've
tuned up the ignition and set the timing to where it seems to run best (max
advanced w/o pinging)

After disconnecting the throttle shafts and setting the throttle stops 1.5
turns out, the 'lift the piston with a screwdriver' test sharply decreases
the revs on both carbs - again pointing to a lean mixture.

Unfortunately I seem unable to do anything about it. Turning the needle
adjustment using the allen-wrench carb adjusting tool seems to do nothing
for me. In fact, I pulled the piston out of one of the carbs and tried
turning the wrench and watching the needle - it doesn't seem to move in or
out relative to the piston. Am I misunderstanding something?

Also, a question regarding the direction in which I should turn to richen
the mixture. I would have thought I should be unscrewing (turning
anti-clockwise) the needle, thereby increasing the gap between the jet and
the needle, allowing more fuel in. This seems contradictory to what
Bentley's says.

Thanks for any help you guys can give! I'm still enjoying the list.

Amy E. Troutman
The Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, 4N