Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 07:17:44 +0100
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <199506070345.UAA21702@mailhost.primenet.com>,
pcarson@primenet.com (Paul A. Carson) wrote:
> [...]

The SAE ratings for engine and gear oils are not directly comparable.

Gearboxes designed for use with gear oils shouls be run with gear
oils. O/D boxes that I know of are specified for use with gear oil.

Oil is supposed to create a 'slippery' microscopic film, that is the
main purpose of having it in the gearbox or anywhere else for that
matter. Synthetic oil is just as 'slippery' as any other oil. Some of the
main advantages are improved viscosity range (thinner when cold -
thicker when hot), less degradation (lasts longer) and more consistent
quality.

The 'slippery' effect is not harmfull, and the O/D wet clutch is
designed to operate in such an environment. Just as the synchro rings
are, which also could be regarded as small clutches.

BTW: A HYPOID diff DEFINITELY requires oils with high pressure additives,
preferably to API GL-5 spec. NEVER EVER run a hypoid diff with engine oil
or gear oil without these additives, you will simply wear out the diff
prematurely.

> (Italicized) Do not use additives; their use may be detrimental to the
> proper operation of the unit."

This is a warning against playing oil researcher and mix *magic*
additives to the oil yourself. This used to be commonplace, esp. in
the 50s and 60s.

Many additives as such are added by the manufacturer, and quite
extensively so in high quality oils.

Also, oil technology has improved *dramatically* since the 50s. In
general there is no reason not to take advantage of these
improvements in an old car. There is one exception, though:

Suddenly changing to modern engine oil with efficient detergent additives
in an engine with large buildups of sludge due to running with old
style low additive oil may cause problems when all the sludge is
suddenly washed away.

Finally:
Don't risk all the money and work you have spent in your car on cheap
oils. Its simply false economy.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway