Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 19:15:32 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
   From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>

   I've happily been using Chevron Delo Lube; it's an 80-90 non-EP
   oil. Makes my gearboxes very happy. Unfortunately, one must buy it
   in a 5 gallon bucket.

   I've been using it in diffs, too, but have lately started to wonder
   if it's the non-EP status of this oil that is causing the whine...

IMHO hypoid gears really really want EP oil; no question. This due to
the "wiping" action of such gears; the teeth of the ring and pinion
slide against each other in normal operation, rather than primarily
"rolling" against other as regular gears do..

                                -john
--
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu