Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: widget@pixi.com (Paul Swengler)
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 13:58:21 -0400
TeriAnn may have a point about synthetic. I've rebuilt two A types recently.
In the past working straight transmissions I've been happy with synthetic
gear oil. But Both transmissions started slipping in OD. Today the second
started slipping without OD when I pushed hard in first.

I think I'll drain the box, flush it with Deisel and refill it.

Any comments on this strategy?

>       "It is essential that an approved lubricant be used when refilling,
>       preferrably a straight mineral oil with a viscosity between SAE 30 and
>       SAE 50 with no E.P. additives.
>
>       ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD ANY ANTI-FRICTION ADDITIVES BE PUT INTO THE OIL."
>
>Right. And we've recently determined, in this thread, that the gear oil and
>engine oil viscosity scales are different, and that the gear oil viscosities
>that correspond to those mentioned above are in the 75-90 range.
>
>Note the phrase "straight mineral oil". That means, in particular, no
>multi-viscosity oils, and no additives. Engine oil these days is almost
>exclusively multi-weight (yes, you can find it straight) and has a witch's brew
>of additives to help foaming and to minimized the deleterious effects of blowby
>on white metal bearings.
>
>In short, it's hard to *find* the "old formulation" oils, at least if you look
>at the engine oil shelves. (Want a challenge? Find a modern oil that
>corresponds to Shell Donax 250 weight gear lube from the late 60's!)
>
>I recommend that you use what has worked for others, and not try to second
>guess what a 30-40 year old technical publication means in today's oil market.
>I've been very happy with modern GL-4 rated gear oils in my Laycock overdrives
>in Triumphs. I don't plan to change soon (though I'm often tempted by a
>synthetic that won't thin out so for the D type in my GT6+; I'll probably solve
>that problem by adding some cooling).

 Great minds think alike...
                Simple minds seldom think differently.

Paul Swengler                      Providing Hawaii's Legal Community
The Law Book Store            with quality legal materials since 1990
4557 Ukali St.            New & Used Books, Anatomical Models, CD-Rom
Honolulu HI 96818
Voice: 808-422-6322    Fax: 808-423-8282