Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: jhassall@vt.edu (J.C. Hassall)
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 09:27:58 +0600
John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

[...]

>I think there are several things to keep in mind about this
>discussion. In the TR2/3 era, both Triumph and Laycock specified SAE30
>engine oil for the box, SAE50 in hot climates. At some point in the
>TR4 era, the factory spec switched to gear oil. At the time, this
>would have been GL4 oil, which has a less aggressive additive package
>than today's GL5 oils. (Has anyone ever seen a Laycock publication
>which spec'd gear oil in their overdrives?)

I have an extract from a Laycock shop manual (unknown date), which says:

"It is essential that an approved lubricant be used when refilling,
preferrably a straight mineral oil with a viscosity between SAE 30 and SAE
50 with no E.P. additives.

ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD ANY ANTI-FRICTION ADDITIVES BE PUT INTO THE OIL."

(original emphasis)

It occurs to me that the question of whether to use "new improved" oils is
moot, in that the "old" formulation worked well.  Use what we know works,
and change the oil periodically.  Yes, changing the oil is non-fun, but sure
beats a $$$ rebuild job.

J.C. "old stick in the mud" Hassall

|        J.C. Hassall (jhassall@vt.edu)         *|        _         ______ |
|        Blacksburg Electronic Village          *|      /   \___-=0`/|0`/__|
| CAUTION: pilot without wings, with which to   *|______\          / | /    )
| "slip the surly bonds..."  Beware of short    *|       `/-==__ _/__|/__=-|
| temper and other personality ills!            *|       *             \ | |