Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions

To: jer@thlogic.com
Subject: Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions
From: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com (Pat Willems (@chong))
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 95 10:09:10 CDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeremy wrote concerning his Spit manifold:

>  The second thing I discovered is that the connection betweeen the manifold
>and the front pipe seemed very determined to stay together, and refused any
>attempt I made to get it apart.  I didn't try a pneumatic impact wrench
>(mainly because I don't have one :-) but just about everything I could think
>of short of that.  Does anybody have any experience getting these apart?
>Should I bother trying to get it apart (like maybe go get an impact wrench)
>or should I just cut off the old front pipe and replace it?  Of course, I
>would still need to get the remains of the front pipe off the manifold after
>I cut it up, assuming I don't replace the manifold.

Jeremy,
Two methods I know of.

Easy way for typical shadetree mechanic:
Soak the nut and stud with Liquid Wrench or similar penetrant and tap
the nut with a hammer/wrench/whatever's handy.  Don't pound on it with
a BFH, just tap it.  Then walk away and leave it alone for a day.
Do the same thing the next day.  On the third day, do the same and try
a wrench on one of the nuts.  Hopefully the siezed threads will have
given by then.  If not, walk away and try later.  Eventually it
will give.

Hard way:
Put a big breaker bar on your socket and pull with all you got on
one of the nuts.  Eventually you will twist off the stud (be prepared
so you don't bang your knuckles if it suddenly gives way).  Do same
for other two studs and front pipe will be loose.  Now all you have
to do is drill out the studs from the manifold and retap (this is the
hard part, :^) ).  If you are going to trash the manifold anyway,
this may be the fastest method.

Have fun,
Pat Willems
'72 Spit Mk IV