Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions

To: j.daley@umds.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 13:14:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Looks like youv'e got the exact opposite problem to me !  Maybe there's a rule
> for conservation of torque like there is for energy.  All the torque that
> I'm losing from my downpipe nuts ends up on yours.

  Well, stop it! ;-)

> >Should I bother trying to get it apart (like maybe go get an impact wrench)
> >or should I just cut off the old front pipe and replace it?  Of course, I
> >would still need to get the remains of the front pipe off the manifold after
> >I cut it up, assuming I don't replace the manifold.
>
> ... and get the remains of the studs out of the manifold. You could try sawing
> off one side of the nut, close to the threads.  Or use a nut spliter.  Or
> take the manifold plus downpipe to a mechanic's shop and ask to borrow his
> air powered wrench.

  Yeah, getting the studs out of the manifold is what I was most concerned
about, the rest I assumed I could grind away.
  I've got a pretty hefty air compressor and tried to get the bolts off with
an air rachet, but the rachet only has 50 foot/lbs torque to it.  I've got a
nice big 300 foot/lbs hand rachet but it's WAY to big to get anywhere near
the bolts.  Though with a 1&3/4" socket it takes down streetlight poles
nicely :-)
  I may go get an impact wrench, since I'm sure it'll come in handy on other
occasions as well.  I suppose a combination of Liquid Wrench, heat, and
impact wrench will get it off if anything will.

                                                Jeremy DuBois
                                                Programmer/System Administrator
                                                Thermalogic Corporation