Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions

To: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Subject: Re: Spit exhaust manifold needed & questions
From: j.daley@umds.ac.uk (Julian Daley)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 16:12:01 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeremy,

I wrote:
>My Spit 1500 has the annoying habit of loosening its exhaust to manifold nuts
>when I'm not looking.  If I don't tighten them up every couple of weeks then
>exhaust gas starts to blow past the copper gasket, ripping up the gasket and
>suffocating me inside the car (I knew there must be a reason I dislike driving
>with the top up !)

Looks like youv'e got the exact opposite problem to me !  Maybe there's a rule
for conservation of torque like there is for energy.  All the torque that
I'm losing
from my downpipe nuts ends up on yours.  (Oh no ! Here we go.  Another torque
thread.  Me and my big mouth)

Someone wrote to me saying he once had some downpipe nuts welded to the pipe
to stop them coming undone.  (I shall withold his name to protect his
reputation)
Maybe you should have a careful look for signs of Marcus's^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H a
welding torch.

>Should I bother trying to get it apart (like maybe go get an impact wrench)
>or should I just cut off the old front pipe and replace it?  Of course, I
>would still need to get the remains of the front pipe off the manifold after
>I cut it up, assuming I don't replace the manifold.

... and get the remains of the studs out of the manifold. You could try sawing
off one side of the nut, close to the threads.  Or use a nut spliter.  Or
take the
manifold plus downpipe to a mechanic's shop and ask to borrow his air powered
wrench.

Good luck,

Julian.
       | Julian Daley,                    j.daley@umds.ac.uk |
       | Department Clinical Physics, Guys Hospital, London. |