Help on my TR6

To: hal@gort.space.swri.edu
Subject: Help on my TR6
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:11:58 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hal!  You are in Boulder!?!  Hey, I have a TR6 (two of them in fact)
in Broomfield!  We should get together sometime...

 >    I have a sad story to tell.  Yesterday was a beautiful day in
 > Boulder, my first father's day, and the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club's
 > annual picnic.  Since my wife and I now have a third person to

Yeah, I knew about that, and REALLY wanted to go, but I had to lay sod
down in the front yard instead.  (ack!)

 > TR6.  I was following my wife who was in the 6.  After about 10 to 15
 > minutes into the drive I noticed that the 6 started to blow some blue
 > smoke (THIS IS BAD).  It seemed to get worse as the day progressed
 > (THIS IS VERY BAD).

"This is not good Mav!"  -- Goose in Top Gun

[ stuff delete about blue smoke from the tail pipe deleted ]

 > The only other relevant information about the car is that I had the
 > head totally rebuilt about 1000 miles ago.  I put a significant amount
 > of money in it, so please don't tell me this is serious.  I am hoping
 > that one of you will tell me that the head is not torqued down enough.

The good news is that the money you spent on the head is probably not
wasted.  The bad news is that the new head may have created too much
pressure for those old rings in the block.  What we need to do is pull
the plugs and see if one or more plugs are getting oil fouled.  It's
my guess that the new head is putting too much compression on the old
piston rings and now they are now leaking.  A compression tester will
give us more info, as well as the condition of the plugs.

Let me know if you'd like me to stop by and we can play with it a bit.
I'm sure we can both learn something from this scenerio.  :-)

Cheers,

-Scott Paisley