Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries

To: owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu, SDTilton@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries
From: CLAY_SCOTT@HP-Loveland-om10.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 95 09:56:15 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Item Subject: Carbon on piston heads and other worries

Scott,
  Wipe the cylinder wall above a piston dry.  Oil around the piston lightly.
Rotate the cylinder to TDC.  Pack heavy grease around the side of the piston.
Protect the adjacent areas from debris and clean off the carbon with whatever
method you prefer.  Then just rotate the engine away from TDC and clean the
contaminated ring of grease off the cylinder wall.  The oil on the side of the
piston makes the grease "release" easier so most of the carbon and grease stay
on the dry cylinder wall where it cleans off easily.  Repeat for the other
cylinders.  I've used this method several times with very good results.

                                Clay