Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries

To: paisley@boulder.nist.gov, rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu
Subject: Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 00:43:01 -0500
Cc: SDTilton@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 95-11-03 01:26:18 EST, paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W.
Paisley) writes:

> > > Ummmm,  any concerns here about it being a wet liner engine?  I didn't
> > > wanna do much rotating for fear that a sleeve might move around.
> > > (perhaps I"m being paranoid. . )
>
>Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between a wet cylinder
>liner and otherwise?  My guess is that the wet liner comes in contact
>with coolent.  I was under the impression that the liners in my late
>TR6 block were pressed in place, and quite difficult to move.  Is this
>true?  Are the liners on the TR4 different?
>
> > Nope, you're not being paranoid - you really don't want to break the
> > figure eight seal at the bottom of the liners.  What you need to do
>
>What's this figure eight seal?
>
>-Scotty "looking for enlightenment" Paisley
> '70 TR6
> '75 TR6

Ok-guys and gals ---The TR4 has wet liners. What that means is that the
engine block is cast and then steel cylinders are seated into the holes in
the block (but the holes are open to each other - i. e. each "cylinder" in
the BLOCK is not a circle but is closed from maybe 20 to 70 degrees, then
open to 110 degrees, then closed from 110 to 160 degrees, open to 200 -closed
from 200 to 250, then repeating to 360 degrees).  So instead of having four
circles in the block, there are four incomplete circles.  Next- four steel
cylinders are put into these holes.  These cylinders are sealed at the bottom
of the block with the figure 8 seal.  The pistons run inside those cylinders
(called liners) and the coolant runs around the outside of them.  What this
means is that a problem - say bad rings that score the inside cylinder wall-
can be fixed by replacing the liner(s) rather than having to rebore the
block.  Simple and as one mechanic said "Why the hell didn't they do that
here in the states."

An example: the piston linch pin (holds the connecting rod  to the piston) in
my #2 cylinder moved out of the piston, and scored the cylinder wall ---
manifested by a big blue smoke cloud from the exahaust pipe.  We did not know
why I was burning oil until we pulled the head and saw the residue of burnt
oil on the top of #2 piston.  This meant that  oil was leaking around the
piston and burning at the top. What I did then was to pull the liner and
replace it. Then I put in a new piston and rings (careful! there is more to
this, i.e. weighing and balancing etc.). BUT it was much simpler than having
to rebore the block!

Hope this helps. If not --give a holler and I'll try to explain it better!