Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries

To: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 10:55:15 -0700
Cc: SDTilton@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
R. John Lye writes:
 > On Nov 1, 12:00pm, SDTilton@aol.com wrote:
 >
 > > > As for carbon on top of pistons and crud down side of cylinder.
 > > > Rotate engine by hand to get each piston to top.
 > >
 > > Ummmm,  any concerns here about it being a wet liner engine?  I didn't
 > > wanna do much rotating for fear that a sleeve might move around.
 > > (perhaps I"m being paranoid. . )

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between a wet cylinder
liner and otherwise?  My guess is that the wet liner comes in contact
with coolent.  I was under the impression that the liners in my late
TR6 block were pressed in place, and quite difficult to move.  Is this
true?  Are the liners on the TR4 different?

 > Nope, you're not being paranoid - you really don't want to break the
 > figure eight seal at the bottom of the liners.  What you need to do

What's this figure eight seal?

-Scotty "looking for enlightenment" Paisley
 '70 TR6
 '75 TR6