Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries

To: SDTilton@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 95 12:38:25 EST
On Nov 1, 12:00pm, SDTilton@aol.com wrote:

> > As for carbon on top of pistons and crud down side of cylinder.
> > Rotate engine by hand to get each piston to top.
>
> Ummmm,  any concerns here about it being a wet liner engine?  I didn't
> wanna do much rotating for fear that a sleeve might move around.
> (perhaps I"m being paranoid. . )

Nope, you're not being paranoid - you really don't want to break the
figure eight seal at the bottom of the liners.  What you need to do
if you're going to rotate the engine is to use some washers (and
maybe a piece of copper pipe as a spacer) and nuts on the studs (once
you've replaced them) to keep the liners from shifting.  I won't
try any ascii art, but it should be pretty obvious what'll work.

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU