Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries

To: SDTilton@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carbon on piston heads and other worries
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 11:31:48 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 SDTilton@aol.com wrote:

> Ummmm,  any concerns here about it being a wet liner engine?  I didn't wanna
> do much rotating for fear that a sleeve might move around.  (perhaps I"m
> being paranoid. . )

        Some times it's not paranoia... people ARE out to get ya!

        Good thinking there Scott. The shop manual shows special devices
        to hold the sleeves in place when cranking with the head off. I would
        replicate them before attempting to to mess with decoking the tops of
        the pistons. I did it with 4" pieces of gavanized plumbing pipe and
        large dia. washers. OR you could have your friendly local machine
        shop "run up a set of the real McGuffins (prolly cost a bit more, too).

> >piston, return to previous and gently wipe clean. DO NOT PUT SOLVENTS OR
> >OIL DIRECTLY INTO CYLINDERS.
>
> heheheh whoops!   Too late again.  I put motor oil in the cylinder bores
> after blotting up the coolant.  Didn't see how it could cause any harm.
>  After all, they tell you to squirt some in when doing a compression check to
> see if your rings are bad.

        Don't sweat a bit of motor oil in the bores...

        Hang in there

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois