Re: Stupid Thing?

To: "Jeff C. Nathanson" <jeffn@msystech.com>
Subject: Re: Stupid Thing?
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 09:18:00 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Jeff C. Nathanson wrote:

> I'm not too sure if I did something stupid. I bought a '71 TR6 that
> runs but needs some definite interior and exterior work. The cost was
> $1500.
>         The rediculous thing is that I have no experience in restoration
> and don't know where to start. Is it best to do easy things like dashboard,
> and convertible or tackle things that are the foundation of the car like
> the chassis? I'd like this to be a family project with my son and wife.
> Also I'd like to limit the additional costs to $2000. Am I dreaming?
>

>                         Thanks,
>                         Jeff N.
>
> Jeff C. Nathanson
> Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.
> Director of Product Development

Jeff:
A stupid thing? Certainly not! Congratulations. If you wish to limit the
cost of the project to $2000 you must plan your work very carefully,
though. From personal experience I can tell you that $2000 doesn't go very
far on one of these cars. The most important task is to get the
mechanical/structural areas in order. Make sure all the suspension
bushings and mounts are not perished. Chances are the engine and gearbox
will be OK for a while. The interior and dash is easy to renew yourself,
it just takes patience and time. If you are not after a show-winner, you
should be able to stay within this figure. Good luck and let us know how
things are going.

Phil Barnes  '71 TR6  CC61193