Re: Stupid Thing?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stupid Thing?
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 95 18:37:53 EST

 To:    Triumph List,           Inet

Part of Michael Turley's reply follows the message below:

>I'm not too sure if I did something stupid. I bought a '71 TR6  >
that runs but needs some definite interior and exterior work.  >
The cost was $1500. >        The rediculous thing is that I  >
have no experience in restoration and don't know where to  >
start. Is it best to do easy things like dashboard, and  >
convertible or tackle things that are the foundation of the car  >
like the chassis? I'd like this to be a family project with my  >
son and wife. Also I'd like to limit the additional costs to  >
$2000. Am I dreaming?  > >                        Thanks, >
                 > Jeff N.

__________________
Best of luck, and if you decide you want to back out, make sure
to let us know.  You really should donate that car to someone who
has more love for it and a little more experience restoring them,
namely, me!  :)

Michael Turley

_________________________
Sorry Michael - I was first in asking Jeff N. to make a
"charitable donation" of the vehicle.  But aside from that, I
agree with all of the points you made about restoration of LBCs or
any other sportscar for that matter.

If you are going to do it, then make sure you can invest the time
and $$$ to do it right.  Like everything else in life, if you do a
half arsed job, you'll end up with a half arsed vehicle and will
only have a half arsed time driving it.  Good tools are expensive,
but if you are going to do it yourself, are absolutely necessary.
That, plus time - lots 'o time. My God, if I had a nickle for
every restoration "task" that I underestimated the time necessary
to complete I'd be sunning myself in Cabo San Lucas right now.  My
rule of thumb is make an estimate of how long you "think" it
should take, multiply that by a factor of three, then multiply
that by a factor of 1/2.  Usually pretty accurate (unfortunately).

I don't know about everybody else on the list, but I can say that
for me one of the most satisfying things about doing a major,
frame off resto. is when it is all done and my friends look at me
in wonder and with amazement in their eyes, and say "you did all
of that yourself????"  Really blows them away, especially if they
think you don't have a mechanical bone in your body.  And
involving your family can be fun -- IF they all have a sense of
humor.  My wife and I did the Datsun, and boy were there some
occasions when I'm sure she wanted to belt me and vice versa.
There were some tears now and then too.  But we are still together
so go figure.  Best of luck to you Jeff, and even if you don't
finish restoring it, you'll have learned something.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk. I, 68 Datsun 1600 Roadster and a cat named
Flounder