Re: Stupid Thing?

To: jeffn@msystech.com
Subject: Re: Stupid Thing?
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 16:11:17 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I'm not too sure if I did something stupid. I bought a '71 TR6 that
>runs but needs some definite interior and exterior work. The cost was
>$1500.
>        The rediculous thing is that I have no experience in restoration
>and don't know where to start. Is it best to do easy things like dashboard,
>and convertible or tackle things that are the foundation of the car like
>the chassis? I'd like this to be a family project with my son and wife.
>Also I'd like to limit the additional costs to $2000. Am I dreaming?
>

>                        Thanks,
>                        Jeff N.

I'd be willing to bet that almost everyone on this list had no experience
restoring cars when they got into British cars.  And most of us would also
love to have our families involved with "that thing in the garage."

$1500 for a running TR-6 project car sounds like a pretty good deal here in
Toledo.

Keep it (or make it) roadworthy for a while, and get to know the car.  Once
you tear it down to the bones, you'll need that remembered love of driving it
to inspire you to put the danged thing back together again!  Start the
restoration by getting *intimately* familiar with the maintenance procedures
that you'll be needing the rest of your life. :)  Buy at least one workshop
manual to work with.  Buy at least one "restoring old cars" book, preferably
one that deals with your model.

Once you've studied your new car on the road, and in the books, you'll have a
far better idea where to start restoring it.  The first step is ALWAYS to
take notes, pictures, and label *everything* that you take off.  It isn't
always easy to remember how it goes back together again.  Masking tape and
some merchandise tags (the little squares on a loop of string) help a lot in
this regard.

>Also I'd like to limit the additional costs to $2000. Am I dreaming?
Yes.  (Are you talking $2000 *this year*, $2000 over 5 years, $2000 this
month???)
You will never be able to reasonably limit the total of what you spend on
this car, provided that you want to do it right, and do the old car some
justice.  All you can hope to do with any car is to set up a budget for it
that keeps your payments within whatever limits you consider reasonable.  A
good paint job these days will cost you around $2000.  Do you already have a
sandblaster, a complete set of tools, welding equipment, etc?  Or will you
pay someone else to do the majors?  Luckily, in a British car where you are
doing all the work, $2000 will go a nice long way.  Not as long as we all
would like, but these cars, relatively speaking, are really inexpensive
thrillers.  Get in touch with the British car parts suppliers to get their
catalogs so you know about how far $2000 is going to carry you.

It all depends on your budget, and how strong your desire is to have a
British classic in perfect condition.  No one in the world is going to try to
force you to keep your car in showroom condition for you to have a blast
driving it.

Best of luck, and if you decide you want to back out, make sure to let us
know.  You really should donate that car to someone who has more love for it
and a little more experience restoring them, namely, me!  :)

Michael Turley
'67 Spitfire Mk2
Toledo, OH