Re: New TR6 owner

To: "Jeff S. Hapke" <hapkejs@cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re: New TR6 owner
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 11:50:16 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeff S. Hapke wrote:

> I am new to the list, as I have just made a great purchase of a '74 TR6, only
> 54K miles, engine and drivetrain in great condition, but with severe rust.

> Maybe I should have run away, as someone advised the prospective Spit buyer,
> but I was far too much in love with the car, to let it sit there and rot away.
>
> My concern is that the whole car flexes when I have it on stands, such that
>the
> doors will not open/close. The stands were located just behind the front road
> wheels, back wheels on the ground.

Depending on where you put your stands, this problem will occur even on
car with a *perfect* frame and body.

However, this doesn't mean that your car doesn't have a weakened frame,
only that the flexing won't go away, even after you fix it...

> I had looked at the frame before purchasing
> the car, paying close attention to the area near the rear A arms, which looked
> reasonably solid. I beleive the problem is in the center of the frame, in the
> boxed in area that the exhaust runs through. Question: would the weld-on frame
> fix sold by some of the parts suppliers stiffen the frame where I need it? Or
> is that just for the A arm mounting points? Would it be advisable to seperate
> the body from the frame for this repair?

In my opinion, major frame repairs are *MUCH* more likely to be done
well
if the body is removed from the frame.  This allows much better access
the frame, and allows the frame to be derusted and repainted while the
body
is off...

> Jeff Hapke
> '74 TR6 Daily Dreamer

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'74 TR6 Daily Driver (not exactly a "dream" car...)

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |