Re: Red-Line oil

To: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Red-Line oil
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 21:06:14 +0100 (MET)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Steve Sutton wrote:

> Has anyone used Red-Line brand synthetic oil in their over-drive equipped
> transmissions?  If so, which Red-Line product did you use -- MT90, MTL or....?
> I have a 74 1/2 TR-6 with bronze synchro's and Laycock Type J overdrive.

The general advice re. gear oil, synthetic or not, in O/D trannies is to use
GL-4 spec. GL-5 contains anti-friction additives that could cause
problems with the cone clutch. I've personally used GL-4 synthetic (not
Red-Line, though) for many years with no problems whatsoever.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway