Re: Red-Line oil

Subject: Re: Red-Line oil
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 13:19:27 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Patrick McMullen wrote:

> You should contact Red Line and ask them if their product is safe for
> use around yellow metals.  I use Amsoil 75w90 GL5 in my 74½ TR-6
> (J-type).

The problem is not with certain yellow metals, but the (real) risk of the OD
clutch slipping due to certain anti-friction additives. The repair book
especially warns against such additives, and there has over the years been
various reports of problems with OD boxes caused by such additives. GL-5
contains significantly much more such additives than do GL-4.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway