Re: Red-Line oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Red-Line oil
From: JimBPPS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:37:46 -0500
Fellow Scions,

I've been following this on and off thread on the proper gear oil for the OD
equipped TR trannys for several months.  I am curious as to why there is so
much disagreement.  The red factory Service Instruction Manual and the
glove-box owners manual, plainly call for motor oil; Duckum's NOL "thirty",
MobilOil A, Castrol XL, Energol S.A.E. 30, Shell X-100, and ESSOLube 30.
 These are all standard motor oils!  The very same oils as are called for in
the crankcase!

I know that there has been tremendous improvements and changes in all motor
oils in the thirty-something years since the specifications were written.
 However, I would think that the current motor oils available are still the
best choice for the tranny!  I currently use Castrol 20-50 in the engine and
when I put my car back together I plan on putting 20-50 in the tranny also.

Any other "motor oil in the tranny" users out there?  Any comments or
discussion?

Looking forward to hearing from you all,

Jim Bauder
Palo Alto, CA
'58 TR3 (in boxes for now)