'65 Triumph Spitfire4 - Lots of Q's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '65 Triumph Spitfire4 - Lots of Q's
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 07:33:54 -0800
I'll agree with Andy, don't skimp on parts.  Get the best you can afford.
It's actually cheaper in the long run.  The '4' does stand for 4 cylinders
used only on early Spitfires, and had led to some rumors of calling the GT6
a spitfire '6'.  The body on the Spitfire/GT6 range is spotwelded together,
nothing on the main tub is bolted on 'cept the boot lid, doors and
windscreen (pre MKIV's), and as has been mentioned before, Pay particular
attention to the sill's. These are stressed/structural members of the body
and contribute greatly to frame/body ridgidity.
< snip >
> The Frame was welded on wrong.  Its right now in the body shop getting
that fixed
< snip >
What exactly do you mean here? the frame is not welded 'on' to anything -
although it's welded together.  The body tub bolts to the frame in several
locations.  Frame alingment/repairs are not to be taken lightly.  Make SURE
you know what your doing here.  And have all the correct dimensions.  These
can be found in the factory workshop manual.  A bad frame can make the car
almost totaly worthless as well as being unsafe to drive and impossible to
get correct wheel alignment.
You have what sounds like quite a project here, not my choice for a
first-timer.  I hope you don't get discouraged and take your time.  If you
look at it like a hobby and are doing it for "fun" (can we really call it
that :-)?) then you will be rewarded with all the hard work you've put into
it!  And congrat's to 'saving' another old British car!  Doing a restoration
right, then driving your pride and joy is an experience you cannot describe
fully to anyone who hasnt been there, and is something that you will look
fondly, almost lovingly at for the rest of your life.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+