Re: Triple Stroms

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triple Stroms
From: sbrborg@umslvma.umsl.edu (Brian Borgstede)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 12:00:46 -0600
>  I do wonder though, if three SU's, which seem to be a better
>carb (at least that's the general consensus here, anyway), could
>be used on this intake manifold.  Now THAT would seem like a good
>setup.

>                         JOE IV
>                         TR 250
>                   WALLINGFORD, CT. USA

Joe,
One of the great things about these little cars is the interchangability
of the
carbs.  You can swap SUs for ZSs even sizes! The problem I see is, most
of the the SU carbs, are built to run at an angle. The ZS carbs run horizontal.

Austin Healey ran a Tri-Carb setup on a 3000 cc straight six.  The carbs they
used where inch and a half SUs.  I don't know a lot about CFMs, but, Is
inch and three quarter too big of carb?  Does the Constant Depression
automaticly take care of that?

I was planning to get the "Good" tri-carb manifold for my my TR-250.
I would like to use three carbs from '73 MGBs.  They are cheap and
easy to find. They also have the built-in float bowl. I think
this would make it simple to run horizontal. Plus, I have the
power bulge to make room for the dashpots!   :-)

               Brian Borgstede                           Phone (314)   524-6523
   Telecommunications Engineer
   University of Missouri, St. Louis              '68 Triumph TR-250
 Instructional Technology Center