Re: TR2 Aeroscreens

To: David Lee <DJFLee@msn.com>
Subject: Re: TR2 Aeroscreens
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 07:34:16 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, David Lee wrote:

> As I am one of those sad guys that only drives my Triumph when the sun
>shines,
> (not easy in northern Scotland), I am considering fitting a pair of
> aeroscreens in place of the windscreen. Originals are virtually impossible to
> find so I am looking at the after-market screens from Moss - Part No 700896.
> Has anyone had any experience of these?
> Fitting problems? in particular how do you cover up the two holes left behind
> by the removed stanchions?
> All opinions gratefully received.
>
> Incidentally,  - Charlie Brown; are you the Charlie Brown who can sign
>himself
>  Spitfire Pilot with rather more justification than might be expected on the
> Triumph list? If so how ya doin' me 'old.

        My old pal, Ron Davis (who owns a Mog +8) installed removable
        Aero screens on his car a couple of years back. He used rivet-type
        threaded nuts. These look like pop rivets with a bolt through them.
        You drill your hole install the rivet, tighten down the bolt and the
        bottom end of the nut flares out to hold it in. You can install it
        just behind where the rubber for the lower windscreen seal is. If
        you get leaks buy some nylon screws of a similar size and thread to
        seal the holes. He lmay ahve used a backing plate to stiffen up
        the sheet metal where the screens  mount, I'm not sure, though.

        His biggest problem was getting over the reluctance of drilling
        holes in his pristine metal.

> Dave Lee
> 1955 TR2
> 1976 SIII Land Rover