Re: Synthetic Oil

To: rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net
Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 97 09:21:47 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
        > What is the general consensus on using synthetic oil like Mobile 1
        > in and old engine.

Ralph,
        I dont believe there is a problem, but do expect your engine to leak
like a sieve afterwards!  The old seals fill up with dino oil which
tends to seal the joint from leaks.  Switching to synthetic will
remove these old deposits, leaving a freshly exposed *old* and compressed
seal.  The synthetic will leak right out!
        I believe it is an excellent thing to to after an engine rebuild.
I run synthetic on my rebuilt engines, and there are no leaks.  My TR6
engine is yet to be rebuilt, so I am holding off moving to synthetic.
        Shane Ingate in San Diego