Re: Synthetic Oil

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org
Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 97 12:16:16 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Greg,
        >       I have been told not to use synthetic oils in freshly rebuilt
        >       engines... At least not right away. The bedding in process for
        >       the rings can be affected. The Mechanic I talked to recommended
        >       straight 30 wt oil to start with for my TR4 and then to switch
over
        >       to synthetics at the first oil change.

I stand corrected.  This is indeed exactly what I have done with my
engines; use dino oil for the first 20 minutes then the next 500 miles, then
switch to synthetic (note that I dont swich to synthetic until the
second oil change).  I perhaps should have been more detailed in my
analysis.  My main reason is to save $$$, but perhaps there is a
mechanical reason too.  Thanks for picking this up.

        Shane