Re: Synthetic Oil

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 12:59:50 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Shane F. Ingate wrote:

>       I believe it is an excellent thing to to after an engine rebuild.
> I run synthetic on my rebuilt engines, and there are no leaks.  My TR6
> engine is yet to be rebuilt, so I am holding off moving to synthetic.
>       Shane Ingate in San Diego

        Shane
        I have been told not to use synthetic oils in freshly rebuilt
        engines... At least not right away. The bedding in process for
        the rings can be affected. The Mechanic I talked to recommended
        straight 30 wt oil to start with for my TR4 and then to switch over
        to synthetics at the first oil change.

        Of Course YEMV (Your Expert May Vary)
        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois