Re: TR4 Dash Restoration

To: lj@proxicom.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Dash Restoration
From: Mark Clark <clarkm@OIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Leif Johnston wrote:

> Actually I just finshed some work on my dash and it was originally white
> painted metal with a burgundy vinyl around the trim area.  I beleive
> that at least the color was original the vinyl seems just to wierd.
> Anywasy I painted the metal flat balck since I am restoring the wood
> dash that was in place when I bought it.

  Sounds like your car had fun in the 1970s - too bad it can't talk.

> Is white the under wood color?

  I suppose so - the wood dash was an option, from what I understand,
though exactly when it was first offered I'm not sure.  If you look at
photos of early cars, the dash is plain metal painted white - no wood in
sight.  Wood can look very nice - I've seen cars with it and with the
finish done right it really upgrades the car.  Just don't make it too
shiny - the glare is distracting (an advantage for painting the dash
flat black).

Dr. Mark Clark
Oregon Institute of Technology