Re: TR2/3 How Many are left?

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: TR2/3 How Many are left?
From: EPaul21988 <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 21:35:14 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-12-16 12:19:37 EST, amace@unix2.nysed.gov writes:

 That's all well and good, but I'm not sure it's applicable in every state.
 For example, in New York it was not until the 1973 model year that cars
 first registered in New York were given a "title"; previous to that the
 only proof of ownership was a transferable registration/certificate of
 registration. It was also not until the early 1970s that NY's DMV began to
 routinely process vehicle registrations via computerized system.

Good point.  I'm sure it was similar in other states.

 . Again, in NY, until some time after the title law took
 effect (and to some degree even now), it was not a problem to dispose of a
 vehicle to a wrecking yard or any other method of "trash" dispoal without
 showing proof of ownership. Laws now requiring licensing of "dismantlers"
 have changed that somewhat, but it still can be fairly easy in some areas
 of New York to dispose of a "complete" pre-1973 car, simply by dropping it
 off at the appropriate transfer/recycling station or wrecking yard.

Exactly.

 > AIC states ( they say this is NOT an estimate but a fact) that there are a
 > total of 1,009 Triumph TR3 , 3As and 3Bs left in the United States !!!!
 > According to the AIC there are only 311 TR2's left in the US.  !!  This is
 > 1,320 left out of the 83,500 cars made.  This is less than a 2% survival
rate.
 > Is this possible ??

 Yes, it seems possible, particularly if one assumes that the 1,320
 represents TRs with current or relatively recent registrations (still "in
 the system"). I'm not clear, though, from what you've said whether that is
 the case, or if the 1,320 represents the entire group of TRs that, to
 AIC's knowledge, have NOT been formally scrapped, with "right, title and
 interest sold", etc.

AIC reports that their figures have nothing to do with registrations, current
or otherwise. Their figure have to do only with titles as they said, and those
scrapped

The other TR3A had no registration papers when I bought it. I also have a TR3B
 with no paperwork, but that car was abandoned, not "scrapped"! I doubt
 that these three cars are included in AIC's totals, and I doubt that the
 '58 TR3A I parted out 12 years ago (also purchased incomplete and without
 paperwork) was "formally" scrapped.

I agree that this had to have happened to many of the TR's that are now GONE,
hence the AIC figures would be atifically high.  Not a believable idea to me.
Personally I think they are low.

 > According to Bill Piggott of the Triumph Register in England, they have
1,110
 > of the TR2/3  cars registered.
 >
 > I was guessing about 25,000 TR2/3s left in the US based on the numbers from
 > the Triumph Register.

 I suspect that 25,000 would be an unreasonably high survival rate.

This could be.  The estimate was based originally on the % of cars surviving
in England according to how many were actually sold there.  Just another
guess. It is probably the case that a higher % of those sold survid\ve in the
Mother country.

 At some point, though, it would be interesting to
 cross-reference lists from the two groups (to eliminate the duplicates, of
 which I'm sure there are many), and see what sort of totals there are
 represented in the major clubs.

   Yes that would be interesting.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM