Re: Moral Support Needed

To: Mark Gendron <markge@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: Re: Moral Support Needed
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:59:38 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Mark:

The answer to the question depends on your skills.  If you can do the work
- welding and panel manufacture - yourself then go ahead.  You will have
the satisfaction of doing the work and awesome bragging rights if you keep
a photo album.  If you must have the work done for you, you will be better
off selling the parts and pieces and using the money as a deposit on
someone else's restoration.  Most restored cars - especially the ones where
money was of no consequence - usually sell for far less than the cost of
restoration.

Restoration today is not a very good way of getting a good car.  There are
far more cars looking for owners than there are owners who want them.  It's
a bit like stray dogs and cats.  Find a likely car, have it checked by the
same restoration expert you spoke to before, then take out a bank loan.
You'll be ahead of the game and will ultimately spend less and be driving
sooner.

John McEwen