Re: Re-chrome or buy new

To: rdaniels@snet.net
Subject: Re: Re-chrome or buy new
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 23:21:15 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< It's time to "fix" the bumpers on the 6 and I'm looking for advice on
 re-chroming versus buying new. I've been quoted $300 per bumper by a local
 shop that does excellent work..... they better, seeing as they cater to the
 Harley crowd! Now I get the new Moss catalog and they have bumpers on sale.
 I've "heard" that the new bumpers aren't as good quality as the original
 ones so it's better to have them re-chromed. Except for the fact that the
 chrome has faded off, my existing bumpers are in excellent shape. What's the
 collective wisdom of the list have to say?
 Thanks >>

Bob
The new chrome parts available seem to have very poor quality chrome. I
believe this is due to either enviromental pressures and/or the folks in the
far East haven't figured it out yet.
I've seen new chrome pieces that look worse in 2-3 years than original 30 plus
year old ones.
My vote is to get the bumper re-chromed. I would ask about copper plating as
part of the process. Most platers only do nickel then chrome.
My $.02.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B