Re: Re-chrome or buy new

To: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Re-chrome or buy new
From: "James H. Davis, Jr." <jhdavis@fiac.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 09:59:16 -0400
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob,
The bumper I bought from Moss earlier this year was not "new", but NOS. It
needed a little cleaning up, but is as good as any that left the factory on a
TR6 . If you can get past the "order takers" at Moss and talk to someone who
knows, you might ask if the bumpers are reproductions or New Old Stock.
Re-chroming is like painting; you can get a Maaco or Earl Scheib $350 special,
or a $3500 show quality paint job and everything in between. Factory chrome and
paint quality is somewhere in the high middle of this range.
When restoring bumpers or replacing them, I thoroughly clean the inside surface,
treat any surface rust with Extend and paint it with aluminum engine paint. This
gives very good protection to the area of the bumpers that corrode worst on most
TR6's, especially when exposed to salted roads.
Hope this helps,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO