Re: GT6 speedo drive: problems, problems

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, msecrest@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 speedo drive: problems, problems
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 03:14:10 GMT
Andy writes...

>Again, according to the workshop manual, removal of the gearbox is NOT
>required, even to get at the drive gear. The extension can be removed
>from the gearbox "in situ" as well. I suspect it could be a bit tricky to
>get the driving flange off; otherwise, it appears pretty simple to do by
>jacking up the gearbox, undoing what needs to be undone, etc.

I would think you could get the output flange off as a few listers
have reported changing the rear seal this way.  The nut itself is VERY
tight but the flange is splined and should come off with little
effort.  Tough part #1 I would think is raising the tranny high enough
to clear the floorpan tunnel as you try to pull off the extension
housing.  It might be necessary to disconnect the exhaust header to
allow this.  Tough part #2 is finding a way to press off the old
speedo gear.  It's a good way down the shaft  and you can't really get
at it with a standard puller.  The nylon gear is molded over a steel
collar and it's the collar that needs to be *pressed*.   Might hafta'
get inventive here. :-)   This is a problem whether you pull the
tranny or not of course.

Once I had this much of the tranny apart/disconnected I would more
than likely just pull the thing unless it had a recent going over...a
few bolts more and you'd get and opportunity to check out the
condition of the clutch and other neat stuff.  JMHO :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits