Re: GT6 speedo drive: problems, problems

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 speedo drive: problems, problems
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 08:23:10 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Curry wrote:

> Martin,
> I don't quite understand why both gears are trashed.  The Speedo gear
> (nylon) where the cable attaches is easy to replace.  The other gear
> that meshes with that one should be intact since it is made of metal and
> rides against the nylon one.  How it could get messed up is also beyond
> me.
>
> Replacing the worm gear requires removal of the tail housing and
> removing the gear from the mainshaft.  I'd recommend doing it while you
> have the cover off in order to avoid another removal later.
>
> Joe
>     Ah, but the internal worm gear isn't metal, it's plastic.  When I
took out the speedo drive gear/shaft, it was munched to hell.  I found
a replacement, put it in, and it proceeded to get torn up too.  As
best I can tell, the internal worm gear just isn't turning it correctly;
today I'll use my dentist's mirror to verify my suspicion that it
is stripped out.  (I pulled more than a few plastic threads out of
the tranny ...)
This is an NOS tranny (not a rebuild) installed by the PO.  Everything
else about it is perfect, so I'm hesitant to go taking it apart.
Perchance the reason it was available in the first place for the PO is
because it had this speedo drive gear problem -- maybe it was put up on
the shelf by someone else in the past!

At the moment, I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket electric
speedo I may be able to hide inside a GT6 speedometer -- maybe one
that references a sensor placed on the wheel or hub?  I'm off to look
in my JC Whitney catalogue ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6