Re: Solved: TR 6 upper fulcrum pin

To: <KTRIUMPH@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Solved: TR 6 upper fulcrum pin
From: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 98 00:47:40 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

><< Just got off the phone with Dave at the Roadster Factory and he confirms
> that the upper fulcrum pins for a TR 4 through 6 mount the opposite way
> you would expect--the concave side points toward the engine, not around
> the damper housing as it was actually designed to do.  The TRF parts
> manual does show this, but not clearly enough to risk another teardown.
>
> Thanks to Chris, Andy and Fred for the quick feedback.
>
> Ian CF57345U
>
> On 09/22/98 12:25 PM canada said...
> >
> >Listers--
> >
> >When bolting the upper fulcrum pins to the frame above the coil spring
> >housing, there appears to be two ways to orient them:  "flat" side out or
> >"concave" side out.  Does anyone know which way is correct?
> >
> >The only pieces I've taken off that I didn't diagram (so far).
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Ian  CF57345U
>  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>Dave Who?
>I just checked my TR4 manual and it pretty clearly shows the upper fulcrum
>pin
>mounted so the concave portion faces out toward the wheel. I harken back to
>times past and dimly recall installing one of these the opposite way and not
>being able to mount the shock.
>I think something got lost in the translation from English to English here.
>
>Ken Nuelle
>58 TR3A
>62 TR3B
>64 TR4
>(all w/ upper fulcrum pin concave side out)

Listers:

I've been out of town for a few days and this seems to have become a hot
topic.  As for Dave's last name, since I wasn't asking him out I didn't
inquire.  He answers the TRF technical advice phone and directed me to
their TR6 catalog which does show the "flat" side facing out.  I also
found an imprint at the top of the spring/shock turret which shows that
they were mounted that way originally (yes, I should have looked there
first before posting my question and no, there has never been a wrench on
this car's suspension, so I'm sure that was the original position.

Thanks to all who replied.

Ian  CF 57345U