Re: Stupid Question about adjusting GT6 valves

To: "Isaac Crow" <isaac@avana.net>
Subject: Re: Stupid Question about adjusting GT6 valves
From: "unicorn7" <unicorn7@mail.icnet.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 00:46:24 -0500charset="us-ascii"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
OK, My $0.02 worth.  Isaac, the values you are looking at are not consistent
with the British Leyland Workshop Manual for the GT6.  They look more like
those for the valve clearance in the valve guide.  The setting according to
the British Leyland manual is 10 thousandths of an inch , and the setting is
made with the engine cold.

Blow off the haynes manual with regards to the "when piston is at TDC, set
lash on the intake and exhaust for ... yadda yadda."   For those of us that
are not dyed in the wool mechanics, aerospace engineers, etc.., but want to
do this right, try this;  examine the valvetrain, look for valves that
appear to be fully closed, confirm this by rotating the engine a bit, and
for those valves that didn't move - set your lash, repeat as required.
After a few rotations of the motor setting and checking, stop, make sure you
didn't miss one, and take a break, grab a cold one, and relax.  After
finishing your cold one, go back out and check the lash again, a dead
giveaway for a setting as recommended in the manual is if you can move the
rocker enough to get a slight click as you push and pull on the nose of the
rocker (obviously with the feeler gauge not installed.  Once you're done
with that you can put the valve cover back on and proceed with adjusting
timing, and all that other fun stuff.

Do not even think about any attempt to set lash with the engine running,
with this type of valvetrain.  If you do, call me so that I can tape it and
send it to America's funniest home videos, I know I could win a lot of
money, and maybe even get a cut of the lawsuit you file after injuring
yourself as the wrench and screwdriver bounce of the rocker and into your
cranium.  (That method of adjusting lash only works on rockers where the
lash is set at the fulcrum)

BTW, if someone who has been doing this for a while in the GT6/TR6 community
can give some words on wisdom as to a tighter setting that won't shorten the
life of the cam, lifters, rockers, etc., I'm sure Isaac and I would both
greatly appreciate it since .01 produces significant clatter.

Dave Korzun
'69 GT6+, 150 miles since rebuild