Re: Stupid Question about adjusting GT6 valves

To: Isaac Crow <isaac@avana.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stupid Question about adjusting GT6 valves
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:42:08 -0400
At 11:24 AM -0400 9/25/98, Isaac Crow wrote:
>I am ready to adjust my valves on my '70 gt6+ engine.  How do I tell
>which valves are exhaust and which are intake? My engine is at TDC, so
>which valves should be adjusted.
>My Haynes manual has a little chart stating that when (such and such)
>valves are fully open, adjust (such and such other) valve clearances.
>Does anyone have a simple set of instructions for doing this task?  It
>would be just like me to overtighten and exhaust valve or something.

By looking at the intake and exhaust manifolds, you should be able to
discern which valves are which. I usually just rotate the crank by hand and
eventually check all the valves, marking the ones I have inspected with a
bit of tape.

An old hot-rod trick which I will do someday: Get an old valve cover and
cut out the middle. Remove the stock cover and replace it with the cut-out
cover. Start the engine and adjust the valves with the engine running. The
cut-out cover will keep oil from running all over everything.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (21 year owner)

Life is short; play dumb.