re: winter storage

To: Don Spence <spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>, <kewels68@aol.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: re: winter storage
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 98 16:31:52 -0600
  All of Don's advice is excellent. Luckily I don't need to follow it. Here
in the banana-belt of Colorado (Front Range, Fort Collins) we usually have
plenty good driving days throughout the winter. Especially since they use
mostly sand instead of salt. Last new years it was 65 degrees here. I've
even enjoyed putting the top down and going for a cruise on Christmas Eve
and Day. It is quite common to get into the mid to high 40's, even with
snow on the ground. So for all of you poor souls who have to put your TR's
into hibernation. I'll be thinking of you when I'm driving mine. Top up or
down.

Shawn Loseke
-------------
Original Text
From: "Don Spence" <spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>, on 9/28/98 5:28 PM:
Hi kevin
What has been posted previously is all good advice, if a little severe.
assuming you follow normal maintenance procedures and do not intend to
drive or start the car over the winter, you should do the following for
a winter lay-up indoors.

Change oil and filter.
Check Antifreeze and adjust as necessary for your climate,
Put soft top up and attach all snaps etc. (If you leave it too late and
you don't have heat in your garage, take the car to a heated parking lot
and let it warm up so the vinyl will stretch.)
Fill gas tank.
Check tire pressure.
DO NOT PUT THE CAR UP ON BLOCKS. You can damage your springs this way.
Remove spark plugs and squirt some oil into each cylinder. Replace
plugs.  In the spring, remove the plugs, check oil level, and on a fresh
battery, crank the engine over without the plugs in until full oil
pressure registers on the gauge. Then and only then, replace plugs and
leads and start the car. (As a side benefit your carb bowls will be full
of fuel and it should start right up on all six (4?).

Over the winter months, go out to the garage every couple of weeks and
pump the brake pedal and clutch pedal a few times to "exercise the
hydraulics". (Be sure to go "vrooom vrooom" and fantasize about spring.)

Make a note of anything that needs fixing and order the parts so you
will have everything you need when it warms up.

Get out the "Kelvinator" (That's what the "K" in "K-Car" stands for
isn't it?) and learn to say over and over   "Those boys and girls up in
deetroit sure do make fine appliances".

Finally....Think spring!!!!
Cheerio