RE: Quote for repairs, a rip?

To: "Albert F Jones" <fisher@hctc.net>, "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: RE: Quote for repairs, a rip?
From: "Jack Levy" <jack@cocoinc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:33:29 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Thank you all for all the help you have given me in figuring out if this was
or was not a fair quote. From some of the email I've received I have been
reminded of the extent of the work and that they should charge that much, or
that I should be ready to pay that much because the car is old and it has
some rusty parts. I would say that this describes 80 to 90% of the cars on
this list, or at least the way they used to be before we (list members) got
our hands on them. In my business (computers) we charge 95-125 per hour and
get upset when customers ask why we charge so much, the fact that we keep
their multi-million dollar businesses running does not usually cross their
mind.
The whole purpose of the original email was not to undermine the need or
value of LBC mechanics. I just wanted an opinion on the quote as I've done a
lot of the work myself in the past, but I own 12 vehicles so I am no
stranger to large bills, with cars like a BMW 750IL, Mercedes 380 SL,
Porsche 914... I apologize if my message came across as 'mechanics are not
worth the money, they are all out to rip us off' it was not meant that way.

Jack