Re: TR6 motor on engine stand

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 motor on engine stand
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:15:55 -0400
Rob C Swift wrote:

> Hello Listers!
>
>         I have a spare TR6 motor that I would like to store in my garage for
>an
> extended period of time.  I would really like to put it on an engine stand
> so that it would be easier to roll around among other things.  Looking at
> the diameter of the bolts that will thread into the block, I am a little
> nervous about this prospect.  The motor seems so long, and those bolts so
> small....  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Can I buy a
> "hardened" bolt that will stand up to a long term test?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Rob Swift
> Manassas, Virginia
>
> '75 TR6 (daily driver)
> '75 TR6 (in pieces!)

Rob,

5/16 grade 5 bolts are more than up to the job.  Be sure you have thick washers
on
them as most engine stands have 1/2 through-holes in the mounting ears.

Some tips for very long term storage of a motor you may actually want to use
again
someday without rebuilding:

1.  Back off the valve adjusters so that all the valves are closed.

2.  Seal the spark plug holes by threading in some old plugs.

3.  Soak clean rags in oil and stuff them into the intake and exhaust ports.

4.  Make sure the valve cover gasket and filler cap are sealing well. (You'll
understand when you get to #6.)

5.  Drain the oil and put a few fresh quarts (about 3) in the crankcase.

6.  Every other month or so pull the plugs and squirt a little oil in the
cylinders.  Turn the crank a few times with a wrench or socket on the pulley
nut.
Put the plugs back in and then spin the whole engine on the stand.  This will
insure that everything internal is coated with oil.

--
Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars