RE: TR6 motor on engine stand

To: "Rob C Swift" <RobSwift@PetCentre.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 motor on engine stand
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:27:17 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
What a timely question.  I too worried about this same issue.  However, I
purchased grade 8 bolts (I opted for the highest strength my fastener shop
carried).  My initial concern was the fine thread, and its holding power.
Well, I recalled a comment my old high school physics teacher had once said:
it's not necessarily the depth of the threads, but the number of threads
holding the object.  Well, I'm here to say that those four 5/16" fine thread
bolts hold just fine.

My problem, and I'm curious whether others have had this same problem, was
finding a way to get all four engine stand connecting arms to align well
enough to bolt it together.  It must have taken me an hour just to find a
combination that aligned.  I ended up having to bolt two lower arms onto the
block, and then covering these bolts with the alignment plate and attaching
the other two arms.  I was concerned, but it works.  I'm sure it is just my
Harbor Freight stand.

Eric Conrad
Denver, CO
econrad@teal.csn.net