Re: TR6 motor on engine stand

To: RobSwift@petcentre.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 motor on engine stand
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:20:04 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-14 07:53:59 EDT, RobSwift@PetCentre.com writes:

<<  would really like to put it on an engine stand
 so that it would be easier to roll around among other things.  Looking at
 the diameter of the bolts that will thread into the block, I am a little
 nervous about this prospect.  The motor seems so long, and those bolts so
 small....  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Can I buy a
 "hardened" bolt that will stand up to a long term test?

 Thanks again,

 Rob Swift >>

Rob
My TR6 engine has been on an engine stand for about 8 years now. Its
not only been rolled around in garages in 2 states, its been rolled on
a moving van, bounced over 1,000 miles on the van and rolled off again.
I used grade 8 bolts to mount the engine, but as others have said, grade 5
probably would have been more than adequate.
One other word of advice: make sure you have it on a 4 wheeled engine stand
not one with a base thats T shaped with only 3 wheels - while the 3
wheeled stands are strong enough to hold the weight, the length of the TR6
block makes it hard to balance while rolling on the 3 wheeled T shaped base.
Good Luck
Jack Mc
73 TR6 - WorldsLongestRunningUnfinishedTR6Restoration