Re: Getting a TR4A through Enmissions

To: "Faulkner" <sherry61@email.msn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Getting a TR4A through Enmissions
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:13:04 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"

----- Original Message -----
From: Faulkner <sherry61@email.msn.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 7:37 PM
Subject: Getting a TR4A through Enmissions

> HI,
>
> I am interested in any information anyone has on getting a Triumph
> successfully through emissions.  I have a '68 TR4A with HS6's that has a
new
> engine with about 200 miles on it.  It seems to run reasonably well but
> obviously there is not much time on it.  I live in Arizona and was lucky
> get a 30 day pass which I have been using to get the bugs worked out and
> have about 10 days left.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> Alan Faulkner

Alan: I can't help but feel bad for you. Why in the hell do these idiot laws
require testing on cars this old? What did the original emission controls
consist of? A PVC valve and a vented oil cap? What percentage of cars in the
USA that are more than 25 years old see daily use? .0001%?
We just had the Calif. style emisson checks rammed down our throats here in
RI starting this Jan. My choices are put those but ugly, limited use antique
plates on my '73 TR6 or submit to a biannual rolling road emission check- a
$125 joy ride that the TR. was never designed (or required ) to pass when it
was new!
To add to the thrill of it all, as far as anyone can figure, only about 1/2
a dozen garage owners in the entire state have bought the required gear to
do the emission checks. 700,000 cars+ 6 inspection stations= 1 helluva mess!