Re: Diagnosis Please!

To: "Joe Donovan" <jdonovan@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Diagnosis Please!
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:13:19 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Joe,

        No one can tell what's really wrong. But here's my two cents worth.
        It seemed you tried the electonics to no avail. So, here's a couple
        of other things you might try:

        1) Check the compression (takes about 1/2 hour). Remember
        to remove all the plugs.
        2) I believe it's a carb problem. So, take off the air cleaner
        and make sure you're sucking air in both carbs. Just put your
        palm over the intake while the car is running and see if the
        suction is about the same. Also lift the air cylinder about
        1/8" and make sure the engine doesn't die. If it does, your
        mixture is either to lean or rich.
        3) The obvious, check and recheck that the plug wires are
        connected correctly. (This dumb thing happened to me twice!)
        4) After putting back all 6 plugs, take #1 out, put the tip
        near a ground, turn the engine over several timee, and make
        sure that a spark can be seen. Then replace and to the same for #2.
        Etc for all 6.

        Good luck,
        Jeff N.
        '72 TR6